Working to ensure the wheat industry and our wheat producers’ way of life can continue into the future.
Wheat News and Updates
Bake & Take Month
March is Bake & Take month. This event celebrates wheat foods and education along with community outreach. For more than 40 years, Nebraska Wheat has shared wheat treats and wheat stories with members of the area community. We also encourage anyone who wishes to participate to bake a treat and share it with friends, neighbors, shut-ins others in their communities. Nebraska Wheat offers free recipe cards and stickers to persons or organizations interested in participating. Contract our office to request your materials. This year’s recipes include crockpot cherry chocolate lava cake and mini dessert tacos. A digital copy of the recipes is available here: 2018 Bake & Take cards for print.
NWB and NWGA visit Capitol Hill
Board members from both NWB and NWGA visited congressional representatives while in Washington DC for the National Winter Wheat Conference. The group discussed Farm Bill, trade policy and research concerns with legislative leaders.
Glyphosate at center of lawsuit
Glyphosate is they main herbicide at the center of a lawsuit of the Prop 65 issue in California. Gordon Stoner, president of the National Association of Wheat Growers talks about where the organization and wheat farmers stand on the issue.
Nebraska Wheat selects new student Ambassadors
NWB’s wheat ambassadors for FY 17-18 are: Eleanor Aufdenkamp of North Platte, Darin Knobbe of Imperial and Jacob Rix of Omaha. These students will complete six classroom presentations each on wheat, assist in six NWB/NWGA trade show events, and conduct two joint events as a group. In exchange, each student will receive a $1,000 scholarship to continue their education in agriculture at UNL.
UNL News and Updates
- Visit the University of Nebraska-Lincoln’s page about all things wheat.
- Keep up to date with crop production and pest management practices via UNL’s CropWatch newsletter.
- View information on the 2016 Winter Wheat Variety Trials.
- Learn more about the Panhandle Research and Extension Center.
- View the Wheat Disease Profiles I and the Wheat Disease Profiles II.
- Take the Virtual Wheat Varieties Tour.
- Learn more about the Small Grains Breeding being done by Dr. P. Stephen Baenziger at UNL.